This kind of salad is one of my all time favourites! They are so easy to throw together and you can easily mix and match the ingredients with what you have on hand.
This is my version of a Mexican inspired rice salad. I just love the punch of flavour you get from the lemon and lime juice combined with the chipotle spice and the crunch from the capsicum make it a party in your mouth!
The chunky guacamole I created to go on the top is another favourite, the red onion brings the perfect amount of heat while the creamy avocado adds a wonderful texture. The tomatoes also bring a refreshing acidity to the mix.
This salad is great to make ahead of time as when it sits all the flavours mingle and become more intense! A great one to take for lunch as well as it is so easy to pop in a container and go 🙂
Mexican Rice Salad w/ Chunky Guacamole
Author: Everyday Plantbased
- 5 button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red capsicum, cubed
- 1 yellow capsicum, cubed
- 1 cup corn (if frozen, thawed)
- 1 tin (400g) black beans. drained and rinsed
- handful fresh chopped coriander
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked in 2 cups vege stock + 1 cup water
For the Dressing
- juice of 1 lime
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
For the Chunky Guacamole
- 1/2 red onion, thinly diced
- 2 ripe avocados, mashed
- 10 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- juice of 1 lime
- Start by cooking the brown rice in 2 cups of vegetable stock and 1 cup of water. Bring everything to a boil, then turn down to simmer for 25 mins, then set aside for an extra 5 mins for the rice to absorb any leftover water.
- While the rice is cooking chop the mushrooms, capsicums and coriander and place them in a large bowl along with the corn and black beans. Then add the dressing ingredients straight into the bowl and mix everything well.
- Also make the chunky guacamole while the rice is cooking. Simply mash the avocados in a bowl and add in the red onion, cherry tomatoes and lime juice and stir to combine.
- When the rice is finished drain any extra liquid then mix it in to the salad and stir to ensure the dressing coats everything.
- To serve simply add desired amount of the rice salad to a bowl and top with the chunky guacamole! Enjoy.
I really hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do 🙂
Much love xx