I’ve been a little obsessed with salads lately. I just love chucking random veges into a bowl with a super delicious dressing. They make for a super filling, healthy and delicious lunch or dinner.
My tip for a good salad is to always include legumes, a bean or lentil, as they are packed with protein and will keep you full and energised for longer. My favourites to include are black beans, kidney beans, chickpeas, butter beans and green lentils.
The pesto I have included in this recipe comes from the book ‘How Not to Die’ which I am currently reading. The author of the book runs the website nutriotionfacts.org which I highly recommend you check out!!
So onto the salad bowl, this one is packed with healthy and delicious ingredients that really pack a nutritional punch! One bowl of this salad will provide you with 76% of your daily fiber, 45% of your daily iron, 23% of your daily calcium and over 100% of your daily vitamin A & C requirements!!!! WOW
Fresh Salad Bowl with Pesto & Hummus
Author: Everyday Plantbased
- 1 head cos lettuce, sliced
- 1 red capsicum, cubed
- 2/3 cup corn
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup cannellini or butter beans
For the Pesto
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 peeled lemon
- 1/4 tsp lemon zest
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 cup cannellini beans
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 TBSP white miso paste
- Pepper to taste
- Start by making the pesto. Simply add all the pesto ingredients to a high speed blender and blend until smooth. If it is too thick add a little more water to help it blend.
- To assemble the salad start with the cos lettuce on the bottom of the bowl, then put the red capsicum, corn, cherry tomatoes, red cabbage and beans on top.
- To finish add a big spoonful of hummus and 1/3 – 1/2 cup of the pesto to the top of the salad. mix everything to distribute the pesto and hummus and enjoy!
Since this meal serves 2 why not spread the love and share with a friend!
Remember to check out my Instagram page for lots of plantbased food photos!
Have a wonderful week!