Who doesn’t love a good cheesy scone for afternoon tea slathered with melting butter. I bet you thought when you cut dairy from your diet you had to say goodbye to that cheese scone???… well think again!!
What I have for you today is the recipe for these little gems, a VEGAN cheese scone! Yes that’s right, you can now indulge in that 3pm scone and cup of tea again 🙂
The cheese comes courtesy of the brand Zenzo who have created, in my opinion, the best vegan cheese on the market! This cheese melts like cheese, it tastes like cheese and even my dairy eating friends love it!! Now I must say I am not a big advocate for processed food, however this cheese has very simple ingredients and I am a big believer in treating yourself every now and then! Go ahead, eat that vegan cheese, and enjoy it!
OK onto the recipe, I have simply taken an old favourite scone recipe and veganised it, added in a few extras and what you have is the most delicious little scone. You’ll want to eat them all as soon as they come out of the oven!
Vegan Cheese Scones
Author: Everyday Plantbased
Makes: 9 scones
- 2 cups flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp dried mixed herbs
- 50g dairy free margarine
- 3/4 cup dairy free milk
- generous 1/2 cup grated Zenzo dairy free cheddar + more for the top
- Pre-heat oven to 230°C
- Into a large mixing bowl sift the flour, baking powder, salt and mixed herbs
- Then cut the margarine into the flour mix until it resembles a fine crumb. I find it best to use clean hands to do this. Then make a well in the center
- Add the dairy free milk and grated Zenzo cheddar and mix quickly until the mix forms a soft dough
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead lightly, then transfer to a parchment lined baking tray and roll out to a 2cm thickness and cut into 9 pieces
- Glaze the top with a little extra dairy free milk then sprinkle with some more grated Zenzo cheddar
- Bake for 10mins or until golden and serve immediately with more diary free margarine in the middle and a good cup of tea 🙂
I really hope you enjoy these scones as much as I do! If you make them be sure to share a photo on Instagram and tag me @everyday.plantbased
Much love xx